Mission, Vision & Strategic Plan
Enhancing community well-being through partnerships in education
We envision strong schools, healthy communities, and thriving cultures with Pacific hearts and global minds
PREL is an independent, nonprofit organization with staff in Hawai’i, American Sāmoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Republic of Palau, and the Federated States of Micronesia: Chuuk, Kosrae, Pohnpei, and Yap.
Throughout the Pacific, PREL collaborates with schools, agencies, and communities to transform schooling and promote dynamic reciprocal learning communities built on strong social and cultural capital.
PREL generally updates its strategic plan every 5 years. Through this process, we are able to revisit the needs of the communities we serve, as well as the current social, economic, and political climate in the Pacific.
These five priorities embraced by PREL’s 2012-2017 Strategic Plan reflect our responses to the needs and ideas emerging from conversations with youth, teachers, community members, and leaders across the Pacific. (Download Full PDF)
- Conditions for Learning for Youth & Young Adults: Promoting academic and/or career and technical achievement for Pacific youth
- Ecoliteracy: Transforming understandings of the natural world into active and positive impacts on our environment
- Early Learning: Supporting early learning and development programs for children from birth to age 8
- Health Literacy: Collaborating on research and culturally responsive health interventions that focus on youth development, school success, and well-being
- Languages & Learning: Addressing multilingual proficiency through language education policies and practices, as well as language proficiency standards and assessments
PREL’s approach to education is asset driven and highly customized to meet the needs of our partners. We bring a wealth of expertise in bilingual education, mathematics, science, literacy, early childhood education, standards and assessment, workforce development, and teacher and leadership development.
View our Areas of Service